McHenry, Md. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team took a break from its conference slate for a doubleheader with Garrett College on Wednesday. The Lions dropped the first game in a high-scoring affair 16-10 and fell 9-5 in the second game dropping their overall record to 6-16-1.
Inside the Box Score
- In game one, Penn State Mont Alto raced out of the gates scoring eight combined runs in the first and second innings, but Garrett College (15-15, 3-4 Md. JUCO) rallied including putting up an eight spot of its own in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Game two featured five different lead changes with Mont Alto rallying from four different deficits, but ran out of steam late as Garrett College scored a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth and sixth innings to ensure the sweep.
- Jeremiah Younker upped his batting average to .434, which ranks sixth in the PSUAC.
Garrett College 16, Penn State Mont Alto 10 (F)
- The Lions matched their season-high total of 10 runs and also tied their season-high in hits with 13.
- Colby Black, Jeremiah Younker, Joel Clabaugh and Spencer Meyers each had multi-hit games for Mont Alto.
- The Lions entered the bottom of the sixth inning with a 10-9 lead, but were unable to hold onto it as they gave up eight runs on five hits and also helped keep the inning alive for Garrett by making two fielding errors.
- Younker was the lone Lion to record an extra base hit slashing a pair of doubles to up his season total to three.
- Younker, Tyler Martin, Matt Taylor, Brady Topper, Joel Clabaugh and Spencer Meyers recorded RBI's in the loss.
Garrett College 9, Penn State Mont Alto 5 (F)
- Joe Garrish made his second career start and responded by striking out four across five and third innings of work.
- Mont Alto evened the score at four runs apiece in the top of the second inning. Jeremiah Younker and Brady Topper opened the frame with a pair of singles and Younker scored when Joel Clabaugh reached on an error by the Garrett College first basemen. Topper scored a batter later on a Landon Richards fielder's choice and Cory Chatfield produced a single for his seventh RBI on the season. The final run of the inning was scored on a Colby Black groundout.
- Chatfield had his first multi-hit game since Feb. 18 and also stole a base for the Lions.
Penn State Mont Alto returns to action on Thursday, April 13 for a home conference doubleheader with Penn State Greater Allegheny. Game times are slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.