Myrtle Beach, S.C. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team picked up its first win of the 2018 season on Sunday in its second game of the Ripken Experience in Myrtle Beach, S.C. The Nittany Lions were no-hit in Saturday's matchup with New River Community College and picked up a 5-1 victory over Penn State Hazleton in the teams' second of five games in South Carolina during Spring Break.
New River Community College 2, Penn State Mont Alto 0
- Logan Beamer tossed a gem for New River Community College silencing the Mont Alto bats through all seven innings. Beamer threw a no-hitter, struck out eight and faced the minimum for his first win of the season.
- The Nittany Lions managed to get one runner on base.
Penn State Mont Alto 5, Penn State Hazleton 1
- Mont Alto racked up 5 runs on 4 hits to hand Penn State Hazleton its second loss of the season.
- Mont Alto plated two runs in the bottom of the third inning and doubled their lead with three more scores in the fourth. PSU Hazleton scored their lone run of the game in the top of the seventh.
- Spencer Meyers (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) got his first win of the season on the mound for PSUMA. Meyers was credited with giving up an unearned run across six innings, while striking out nine. Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) struck out one in an inning of relief.
- Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) went 2-for-3 at the plate and batted in three runners to jump start the lineup.
- Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) also got a base knock at the plate and had 2 RBIs.
Mont Alto (1-5) face Ancilla College in a pair of games with the first matchup happening tonight at 8:30 p.m. The schools will play again at 1 p.m. on Monday, March 5.