MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team concluded its Spring Break trip in Myrtle Beach with two-straight victories over Ancilla College and Henry Ford College. The Nitany Lions posted a 9-4 win over Ancilla and in the nightcap they rallied back for a 4-3 win over the Hawks.
Penn State Mont Alto 9, Ancilla College 4
- Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) had his second multi-hit game of the season going 2-for-3 at the plate. Younker also collected a pair of RBIs from the cleanup spot.
- Freshman Jack Dubyak (Charles Town, W. Va. / Washington) made his first collegiate appearance on the mound picking up the win after relieving starter Joel Clabaugh (Landisburg, Pa. / West Perry). Dubyak scattered just one hit across 3.0 innings.
- PSUMA raced out to a 2-0 lead scoring a pair of runs in the top of the second inning, but the Chargers would rally in the bottom of the fourth answering with four runs of their own to capture the lead.
- Mont Alto slowly chipped away at Ancilla's lead scoring a run in the top of the fifth cutting the deficit to 4-3, and wound up retaking the lead in the sixth when the Nittany Lions plated home three more runs. PSUMA added three insurance scores in the final frame.
- Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg), Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown), Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport), Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring), and Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) each tallied at least one RBI in the win.
Penn State Mont Alto 4, Henry Ford College 3
- The Nittany Lions ended play at the Ripken Experience on a high note with the team rallying from an early deficit to win its second-straight game. HFC plated the first run of the game in the top of the third inning, but the lead was short lived as Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) slashed a bases clearing triple to put his team up 3-1. The junior outfield ended up driving in the eventual winning run on a fielder's choice.
- Younker, a two-time USCAA All-American has picked up right where he left off last season slashing .476 at the plate and has drove in 12 runs, which is currently tied for 10th in the USCAA.
- William LaRussa (Arnold, Md. / Broadneck) fashioned a quality start on the bump for the Nittany Lions scattering just two hits across five innings with HFC's third inning tally being his only earned run allowed.
- Henry Ford College made things interesting scoring a pair of runs off reliever Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) to cut the deficit to 4-3 in the top of the seventh inning. Head coach Terry Clark once again turned to his bullpen and Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) came in and slammed the door shut for the save.
Penn State Mont Alto return to action on Friday, March 9 when the team travels to Hartford Community College for a nine-inning road contest. PSUMA was originally scheduled to square off against Dickinson College on Wednesday, but the game was postponed with a make-up date to be determined in the near future.