MONT ALTO, Pa. – In a battle of two of the top teams in the PSUAC West, Mont Alto came back from two separate deficits and brought PSU DuBois to extra innings in both games of Saturday's doubleheader. The visiting Lions from DuBois won the first contest 6-4 in eight innings, and swept the series with a 7-6 win in a back-and-forth nine-inning game.
Prior to first pitch, the Mont Alto athletics department and the baseball program celebrated Senior Day as Cory Chatfield (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area), Joel Clabaugh (Landisburg, Pa. / West Perry) and Nathan Kulp (Carlisle, Pa. / Cumberland Valley) were honored for their outstanding accomplishments on the diamond and in the classroom prior to first pitch of the doubleheader.
Penn State DuBois 6, Penn State Mont Alto 4 (F-8 innings)
- DuBois jumped out to a 2-0 lead, but Mont Alto made it 2-1 when Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) singled home Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring).
- The visitors scored a run in both the fourth and fifth innings giving them the 4-1 lead.
- PSUMA sparked a rally initially in the bottom of the sixth inning when Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring) singled to open the frame. Black stole second and advanced to third on a Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) single and scored on a Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) RBI single.
- In the bottom of the sixth, PSUMA tied it up at four runs apiece with Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, North Hagerstown) scoring as well as Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) who crossed home plate on a RBI single from Joel Clabaugh (Landisburg, Pa. / West Perry).
- DuBois scored a pair of runs on starting pitcher Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) in the top of the eighth. The junior took his third loss of the season giving up five earned runs.
Penn State DuBois 7, Penn State Mont Alto 6 (F-9 innings)
- Mont Alto jumped out to a 3-0 lead with five hits within the bottom of the first. Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) doubled home Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) and a double steal saw Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) steal home as Brady Topper's RBI single concluded the scoring.
- DuBois chipped away at the early deficit scoring a run in the top of the second and added four runs in the third to take the 4-3 lead.
- Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) reached on an error, which scored courtesy runner Brandt Swartz (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg).
- A Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) RBI single gave PSUMA the lead in the bottom of the fourth, but DuBois scored in the top of the fifth on a Dan Bowman double making it 5-5.
- DuBois added a run in the sixth and Younker stole home to force extra innings.
- Jack Dubyak (Charles Town, W. Va. / Washington) was credited with the loss in relief, giving up the game-winner in the top of the ninth.
- Mont Alto totaled 13 hits in the loss, but committed four errors.
Penn State Mont Alto (10-13, 5-4 PSUAC) travel to McDaniel for a non-conference nine-inning contest against the Green Terror on Wednesday, April 18. First pitch is slated for 3:30 p.m.