NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team held an early lead in the second game of a doubleheader with The Apprentice School, but the Builders rallied for a pair of victories on Saturday. The Builders won the first game 5-2 and scored the come from behind 5-3 win to drop PSUMA to 4-7 overall.
The Apprentice School 5, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- The Builders built an early 4-0 lead in the first inning and never looked back. Mont Alto only managed four hits off of the combination of Luke Schanback and Tyler Wingrad. The latter of which closed the game for a save. The Nittany Lions plated both of their runs in the top of the second inning. Joseph Wunsch (Dover, Del. / Dover Area) grounded into an RBI fielder's choice and Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) poked an RBI single to left field. The Builders made it 5-2 when Gevin Nixon drew a bases load walk.
- Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) took the loss as he went six innings and was tagged for all five runs.
The Apprentice School 5, Penn State Mont Alto 3
- Mont Alto built an early 2-0 advantage in the top of the opening frame scoring a pair of unearned runs. Younker plated home Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) when he reached on an error. The other run within the inning was scored by Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) who came home on a Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) RBI single.
- Mont Alto made it 3-1 when Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) grounded into a fielder's choice.
- The Apprentice School tied the game at three runs apiece in the bottom of the fifth inning. Maxwell Burcham scored on a fielders choice and Cody Hendrickson scored on a double steal to giving the Builders a 5 to 3 lead within the same inning.
- Neither team scored again as Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) finished 2-for-3. Younker struck out five and gave up four earned runs on the bump.
Mont Alto (4-7) return to action on Friday, March 15 as the team is slated to host St. Clair Community College for a doubleheader. Game times are 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.