DuBOIS, Pa. – It was a tale of two different games on Saturday as the Penn State Mont Alto baseball team battled PSU DuBois as they traded 10-run victories over each other. PSUMA dropped the first matchup to DuBois by a 12-2 score, but their offense ran on all cylinders in the nightcap winning 13-3.
Penn State DuBois 12, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- PSU DuBois scored first with an unearned run in the first inning. They scored three more runs in the second frame and went up 5-0 after a solo homer from Isaac Stouffer in the third inning.
- AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) got Mont Alto on the board an inning later when he ripped an RBI single right back up the middle.
- Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) finished 2-for-2 at the plate including a double and scored a run in the fifth inning.
- DuBois ended up scoring in every inning as they added four more runs in the fifth and two more in the sixth stanza to earn the 12-2 victory.
- Mont Alto finished the first game with seven hits as Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring), Cameron Lee (Warrenton, Va. / Fauquier) and Aric Smoker (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) saw time on the mound for the Nittany Lions.
Penn State Mont Alto 13, Penn State DuBois 3
- PSUMA jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning on the backs of RBIs from Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) and Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown).
- DuBois tied the score up at three runs apiece in the third inning, but from that point on Mont Alto carried all of the momentum as they responded with four runs in the next half frame and scored at least one run in the final three innings of play. Millar and McClure rocketed doubles as they built a 7-3 lead.
- Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) sent his second home run of the season over the right field fence in the fifth inning and drove in two more runs on a single in the sixth inning.
- Topper finished 3-for-4 at the plate with a season-best four RBIs. He was a triple shy from hitting for the cycle.
- Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) was once again solid at the plate collecting three hits.
- Younker tossed six innings, scattering six hits while managing five strikeouts.
- Senior Caleb Leggett (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport) broke out of his slump and went 2-for-4 at the dish with a pair of singles and scored two runs.
Mont Alto improved to 20-14 overall and 8-3 within the PSUAC. The Nittany Lions have six more games left of their regular season slate including four more conference outings.