Mitchell's free throws help top Schuylkill, 85-81

Mitchell's free throws help top Schuylkill, 85-81



Freshman guard Jeremiah Mitchell secured the 85-81 win when he made both free throws after Penn State Schuylkill's coach was issued a technical foul for calling a time out with 3.6 seconds left on the clock.  No time outs were left for visiting team Schuylkill. 



The statistics before the game had Schuylkill ahead of Mont Alto, but with the win, Mont Alto is tied for second place in the PSUAC Southern Division. 



Four out of the five starters for Mont Alto were in double-figures for shooting.  Mitchell had his career high posting 23 points, 11 for 12 from the foul line and rebounding nine.  He also collected 3 assists and 3 steals.  Sophomore forward Kevin Onyeaka finished the game with a double-double, grabbing ten rebounds, scoring 17 points on 6-of-14 from the floor and 4 for 5 from the line.  Freshman guard Jesse Newman was in double figures with 17 points, on 3-of-4 attempts from beyond the arc and finishing with 11 assists. 




Mont Alto was up by 14 in the first half but with minutes left in the game it was down to the last point.  "I was really proud of our team, we had several down moments throughout the game but continued to stay positive," Head Coach Ed Flory explains.  "Mike Warrenfeltz got fouled and missed all three free throws but later in the game he was fouled again and made both shots during the last few crucial moments of the game.  We had several plays we missed but we kept our confidence up and came back and got the next one." 



With eight minutes left in the game, the fans were on their feet when Mitchell missed a jump shot but Onyeaka was there to rebound, finishing with a slam dunk.  The pressure continued as Schuylkill stayed within points of Mont Alto.  The determining factor came down to the last 3.6 seconds when Mitchell made both of the free throws to protect the lead.  "I was 10-of-10 for free throws last night at practice and I had only missed one of ten up to this point in the game, so I had a good feeling," Mitchell comments.  "I knew these last two shots were going to be the determining factor of the game and I had to make them." 



Mont Alto came back after being defeated by Schuylkill last semester and took the victory at home in front of their dedicated fans, who have been supporting them all season.


Mont Alto will travel to Penn State Greater Allegheny Saturday to continue their play in the PSUAC Western Division for a 1:00 p.m. start.