MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team turned in arguably its best offensive performance of the year in a 96-83 win over visiting Penn Highlands Community College. Saturday's win improved Mont Alto's overall record to 5-5 as each player on the roster earned minutes on the court and only two of them failed to register a point in a balanced scoring attack.
Inside the Box Score
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) had 21 points, three rebounds and a steal. The junior guard came off the bench for the second-straight game and went 8-of-12 from the field.
- Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) also finished with 21 points as he added six rebounds, three assists and steal.
- Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W. Va. / Jefferson) was the lone starter to finish in double figures with 13 points. Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) nearly had a double-double with 9 points and 11 rebounds.
How it Happened
- Both teams spent the early portion of the fist half feeling each other out as Mont Alto gained it's first lead at 25-24 after a Terrell Campbell (Germantown, Md. /St. John's College Prep) layup at the 8:18 mark.
- There were 24 total fouls in the first half that slowed the pace of the game for the first 12-plus minutes, but the half ended with the teams trading transition layups.
- Penn State Mont Alto carried a three-point lead into halftime, 25-24.
- Mont Alto's press defense was reenergized in the second half as it helped the team to a 7-0 run to open the half.
- PSU Mont Alto outrebounded the Black Bears 52-36.
- Penn Highlands had 15 turnovers including eight in the second half and never seemed comfortable against the full court pressure. Mont Alto scored 25 points off the visitor's turnovers.
- Penn Highlands Community College shot 49.2% from the field and Mont Alto shot 44%.
- Tim Biakapia poured in a game-high 30 points and teammate Bryan Acosta had 20 points and 10 rebounds for Penn Highlands.
- The game featured five ties and seven lead changes with teams combining to shoot 70 free throws with Mont Alto going 22-of-32 (68.8%) from the charity stripe.
- The Nittany Lions return to action on Monday, December 18 with non-conference contest with NCAA Division II institution, Lock Haven University. There will be a live video and audio stream of the game available on the Mont Alto men's basketball schedule page. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m.