MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team traded baskets with PSUAC leading Brandywine all afternoon with the visitors converting on free throws down the stretch for a final score of 88-72. Brandywine improved to 9-4 overall and 5-1 in the PSUAC and Mont Alto fell to 6-8 and 1-5 in league play.
Inside the Box Score
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) had an efficient night scoring a team-high 22 points on 8-of-12 shooting. Smith also added five rebounds, a steal and an assist.
- Jihad Warner (Philadelphia, Pa. / Swenson Arts and Technology) made his third straight start and had a career-high of 13 points, scoring 12 of those points in the paint.
- Freshman guard Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) came off the bench and scored nine points added five steals and had seven rebounds.
- Junior Terell Campbell (Germantown, Md. / St. John's Prep) assisted on eight buckets for Mont Alto and was 1-of-4 from the field totaling seven points in the loss.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto fed off the crowd energy and built a 13-5 lead in the first half. Brandywine's defense began to press and went on a 17-5 run creating multiple MA turnovers to take a 22-18 lead with 10:05 remaining.
- Down eight points with 2:12 left in the first half, Mont Alto rattled off a 9-0 run to take a 42-41 lead into the locker room.
- The Mont Alto basketball program recognized the 1964 team in a halftime ceremony.
- In a game of runs, Brandwine opened the second half on a 15-3 run to take a commanding 56-45 lead and never looked in danger.
- Midway through the second half Mont Alto ran off a 6-0 spurt to trim the lead to 53-59, but were unable to get closer as the teams traded mini runs down the stretch.
- The game turned out to be a highly contested affair with the teams combining for 42 fouls and three technical falls.
- Brandywine had three starters score in double figures with Terrence Brown leading the way with 36 points and 13 rebounds. James Fisher added 20 points and backcourt mate Donte Winfield scored 11 points.
- Mont Alto held Brandywine to 29 percent (7-of-25) shooting from downtown.
Penn State Mont Alto will travel to PSU Hazleton for a one-game getaway on Tuesday, January 16. Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.