MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team only shot 30.6 percent from the floor, but terrific defense especially in the first half fueled the Nittany Lions past Williamson College of the Trades by a 60-55 score on Saturday in the final game of the 2018 John E. Benchoff Tournament.
Inside the Box Score
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) appeared in his first game of the season at the 13:52 mark in the first half and he sparked the Mont Alto offense shooting 5-of-7 from the field and 3-of-4 from downtown for 15 points. Smith entered the game 14-points shy of 1000 and achieved the mark on a transition alley-oop, which was assisted by Terrell Campbell (Germantown, Md. / St. John's College Prep) that put PSUMA up 33-18 with 1:52 left in the first half. The Jefferson High product finished the contest with a team-high 20 points and added nine rebounds.
- Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) was the next best scorer for Mont Alto finishing with eight points, which all came within the first half.
- Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) had a productive 17 minutes collecting 10 rebounds, five of which provided second chance opportunities for his offense.
- Mont Alto held a 51-40 edge on the backboards as they also held Williamson to 33.3 percent shooting overall and 29 percent from 3-point range.
- Vontangoe Donzo led the Mechanics with 22 points and 22 rebounds.
How it Happened
- Williamson (0-4) built an 8-4 lead to begin the game that was capped off by Vontangoe Donzo jumper in the paint. Mont Alto finally settled in and began to build momentum after five straight points from Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg), which cut the deficit to 11-10. Mont Alto gained the lead on a Smith 3-pointer at 16-13 and never surrendered it back.
- The Nittany Lions carried a 33-20 lead into the halftime break.
- Mont Alto built its largest lead of the game in the second half on a Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W.Va. / Jefferson) trey that put them up 47-31.
- Williamson closed the game on 24-13 run for the 60-55 final.
- Shun Hickman (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) was named the Benchoff Tournament MVP for his overall performance across the two-day event. Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) and Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) were each honored on the All-Tournament Team.
Penn State Mont Alto improved to 2-0 on the season and return to action on Tuesday, November 13 in a home matchup against Christendom College. Tip-off is slated for 8 p.m.