MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team hosted PSU Beaver on Friday evening and the visitors outlasted PSUMA and won by a 59-47 score.
Inside the Box Score
- Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W. Va. / Jefferson) paced Mont Alto with 12 points as he converted on 2-of-3 attempts from downtown.
- Mont Alto struggled from 3-point range as a team shooting 28.6 percent (4-of-14).
- Penn State Beaver made the most of Mont Alto's 20 turnovers as they scored 20 points off of them.
- Both team's shot under 50 percent from the floor with Beaver finishing at 44.9 percent and PSUMA shooting at 30.5 percent.
How it Happened
- A pair of 3-pointers from Beaver jump started them out to an early 8-3 lead. Drew Pitzer (Bunker Hill, W. Va. / Musselman) knocked down a long range shot himself and scored two-straight layups on consecutive possessions to tie it up at 10-10, which forced a Beaver timeout with 14:33 left in the half.
- The teams would essentially trade baskets as well as turnovers throughout the rest of the period. Mont Alto committed nine turnovers compared to Beavers eight with the team's only combining for six steals so many were self inflicted. Beaver carried a 29-24 lead into halftime.
- Mont Alto was unable to get their shots to fall for the better part of the second half shooting 25% from the floor. However, their defense kept it close and they rallied from double digits to just a five point deficit (51-47) with 4:30 left in the game when Roper hit a jumper in the paint.
- After a Penn State Beaver full timeout they closed the last 3:50 of the game on a 8-0 run.
Penn State Mont Alto returns to action on Saturday, December 15 in a road matchup with Penn State Fayette. Tip-off is slated for 3 p.m.