HAZLETON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team went on a 21-13 run over the final five minutes of the second half and won a nail biter by 79-76 score on Saturday over PSU Hazleton. Mont Alto improved to 13-6 overall and 10-3 in the PSUAC while Hazleton fell to 7-6 overall and 5-3 in the conference.
Inside the Box Score
- Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) scored a team-high 19 points in 28 minutes. He shot 50 percent from 3-point range.
- Mont Alto shot 50 percent (28-of-56) from the floor and were 10-of-29 from 3-point range. Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) splashed three of his four attempts from downtown.
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) stuffed the stat sheet with 18 points, seven rebounds and three steals.
- Freshman forward John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) and Holston also finished in double figures with 14 and 10 points, respectively.
- Andy Kwaitkowski scored a game-high 29 points in the loss as no other Hazleton player finished in double figures.
How it Happened
- Playing in a back-to-back, Mont Alto built a 19-12 lead after a Holston 3-pointer with 11:49 remaining in the half. However, Hazleton got hot from the field to close the half and built a 42-36 lead going into halftime.
- After a Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) jumper that tied it up at 76 points apiece with under a minute remaining, Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) forced a steal with 16 seconds remaining and was fouled in transition. The sophomore guard knocked down the front end of his free throws to put his team up 77-76. Hazleton turned the ball over again on the next possession thanks to a Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) steal and the senior hit 2-of-4 of his attempts within the final eight seconds to ice the 79-76 win for Mont Alto.
Mont Alto concluded this pivotal three-game road trip 3-0 and return home for a PSUAC matchup with Penn State Fayette on Tuesday, January 29. Tip-off is slated for 8 p.m.