MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team faced off against Penn State York tonight in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSUAC) playoff semifinals. York (19-8, 12-7 PSUAC) pulled it out down the stretch holding off Mont Alto by a score of 76-68.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto was held to just 5-of-14 makes from downtown as the game featured 16 different lead changes and eight ties.
- The Nittany Lions were led in scoring by John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) who scored 19 points while senior Drew Pitzer (Bunker Hill, W.Va. / Musselman) added 14 points. Fellow senior Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) added 10 and Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W.Va. / Jefferson) rounded out the double-digit scorers with 11 points.
- Mont Alto finished shooting 41.4 percent from the floor while their opponents would finish their night shooting 42.9 percent and 19-of-21 from the free throw line.
- Penn State York had three players finish in double digits including Derrick Hoffman who led all scorers with 25 points. The Lions held a 44-30 advantage in rebounding over PSUMA.
How it Happened
- Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) splashed a 3-pointer that gave Mont Alto the early 7-4 lead. The teams would then trade baskets before a Joey O'Dwyer trey broke a 19-19 tie. Coach Schenzel called a timeout to reset with York up 24-21 with 6:52 remaining in the first half.
- The teams literally traded baskets during the final six minutes. The first half featured six different lead changes with York taking the 35-32 advantage into the break.
- Mont Alto went up 38-37 after Holston sliced through York's defense for an easy basket. A visitor's layup from Joey O'Dwyer tied it up at 48 points apiece with 11:49 remaining. John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) put his team up 53-52 after a baby hook in the paint.
- A 5-0 York run forced a Mont Alto timeout with them trailing 58-53 with 5:38 left. York pulled away a bit before a Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W.Va. / Jefferson) floater cut the deficit to 64-58. The paced slowed down in the final three minutes with York holding a 68-60 advantage entering the final 60 seconds. Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) hit a trey from deep to give PSUMA life at 70-65 with 49 seconds remaining, but the visiting Lions hit their free throws down the stretch for the 76-68 final.
Penn State Mont Alto will now wait and see if they receive an at-large bid for the USCAA National Championships. The USCAA will upload the selection show at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 23 to its webpage. Click here to visit the USCAA website.