MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's soccer team squared off against the Knights from Central Penn College today in non-conference showdown. The Nittany Lions put together their best performance of the 2018 season against the Knights (4-2-1), winning by a score of 3-0.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto ended up leading the shot count this match, 20-6 as it successfully revenged a 3-2 double-overtime loss to Central Penn from Sept. 1.
- The Nittany Lions dominated possession especially in the second half, but Central Penn did hold a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- Both Joel Wadel (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) and Nate Hall (New Bloomfield, Pa. / West Perry) grabbed their second goals of the year while Shounak Barat (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) netted his first collegiate goal.
- Freshman goalkeeper Austin Moore (Brockway, Pa. / Brockway Area) would finish off the match with three saves.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto was firing on all cylinders tonight. The first half started with the teams battling for field position, the Nittany Lions were able to settle the pace and managed to keep control of the ball most of the first half. Mont Alto tallied six shots within the period.
- In the second half, Mont Alto settled into the final third of the Knights on several occasions with the breakthrough finally coming in the 55th minute. Jose Rivera (Gettysburg, Pa. / Biglerville) sent a cross within the box that was finished off by Wadel at the 55:08 mark.
- PSUMA added an insurance goal in the 66th minute when Nate Hall (New Bloomfield, Pa. / West Perry) followed his initial header that was saved by the Central Penn keeper and Hall tapped the ball into the back of the net to put his team up 2-0. Shounak Barat (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) scored his goal on a dipping shot that beat Trevor Holderegger and completed the scoring for the match.
Mont Alto will travel to Penn State Greater Allegheny this Thursday, October 11 for a rescheduled PSUAC conference match. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m.