MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's soccer team played in its final home match of the 2018 season and late comeback attempt was foiled as the visiting PSU Scranton Lions held on for the 4-3 win.
How it Happened
- Penn State Scranton seized the early momentum of the match when Jaquan Cole scored an unassisted goal in the 11th minute. Mont Alto, however would respond 10 minutes later when a Shounak Barat (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) cross was deflected into the back of the net by a Scranton defender at the 21:11 mark. The two teams would then trade solid possession in each other's final third and Scranton made it 2-1 when Kyle Davis connected with Jaquan Cole in the 33rd minute. The homestanding Lions equalized when Nate Hall (New Bloomfield, Pa. / West Perry) netted his third goal of the season just 1:18 after the Scranton effort. The teams went into the halftime break tied at two goals apiece.
- Cole completed the hat trick on another unassisted effort in the 54th minute and Kyle Davies put PSU Scranton up 4-2 when he pushed the ball past PSUMA keeper Austin Moore (Brockway, Pa. / Brockway Area). Mont Alto continued to pepper the net with a Hall shot being saved by the Scranton keeper in the 71st minute. They were finally rewarded after earning a corner kick; Owen Gilbert (Wells Tannery, Pa. / Forbes Road) was the recipient of an Adrian Casey (Duncannon, Pa. / Susquenita) outward swung ball that Gilbert connected on at the 88:22 mark.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto outshot the visitors by a 23-15 margin.
- Drew Faust (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) placed three of his six shots on target.
- Goalkeeper Austin Moore (Brockway, Pa. / Brockway Area) finished with six saves.
Mont Alto will look to close its season out on a high note when they play again on Saturday, October 20, at 4 p.m. where they will face Penn State Lehigh Valley in a road match.