Mont Alto, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team wasn't able to muster much offense in game one of a doubleheader on Saturday being shutout 4-0 to PSU New Kensington. In the nightcap, Mont Alto rallied from a 2-0 deficit, but ended up dropping a 4-3 decision in a PSUAC contest.
Inside the Box Score
- Stephanie Drapela scattered four hits in her first shutout of the season for Penn State New Kensington.
- Alyssa Munns saw action inside the circle in both games for the Lions striking out a combined nine batters and only allowed two earned runs across 11 innings pitched.
Penn State New Kensington 4, Penn State Mont Alto 0 (F)
- Stephanie Drapela tossed a four-hit shutout for New Kensington.
- Alexandra Zombro and Helayna Stanko were the lone Lions to reach base as each went 2-for-3 on the afternoon.
- Penn State New Kensington pushed across a run in the top of the first, added a pair in the third and scored an insurance run in the top of the fourth inning when Stephaine Schrecengost hit into a fielder's choice scoring teammate Shianne Bezts.
Penn State New Kensington 4, Penn State Mont Alto 3 (F)
- Helayna Stanko continued her hot afternoon going 3-for-3 including a double, two-RBI's and also scored a run for the Lions. Stanko's .370 batting average leads the team and ranks 14th in the PSUAC.
- PSU New Kensington scored the winning run in the top of the sixth when Stephanie Drapela singled up the middle scoring Allison Nicklas from second base.
- In addition to Stanko's two RBIs, Geraldine Perez drove in the other run for Mont Alto in the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Kaitlyn Whiteaker, Brianna Glatz and Alexandra Zombro also notched hits for the Lions in the loss.
Penn State Mont Alto (2-8, 2-8 PSUAC) hosts Penn State Greater Allegheny for a doubleheader on Thursday, April 13. Game times are slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.