MONACA, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team came up with a pivotal second game comeback win to split Wednesday's road doubleheader with PSU Beaver. Both teams were able to limit each other in the base paths with Beaver picking up the 2-1 win, but Mont Alto came back from a 2-1 deficit in the nightcap for the 8-4 win in eight innings.
Penn State Beaver 2, Penn State Mont Alto 1 (F)
- Mont Alto struck first when Abbey Ebersole (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) doubled and scored a batter later when catcher Sydney Binner (Port St. Lucie, Fla. / St. Lucie West Centennial) also doubled off of Beaver starter Vanessa Jackson.
- PSUMA held the 1-0 lead until the bottom of the fourth when Jessica Hughes produced an RBI single.
- Beaver scored the eventual winning run in the bottom of the fifth inning as Kayla Campbell slapped an RBI singled off starter Cassidy Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg).
- Feaser pitched well in the loss going all six innings, while giving up just two earned runs on eight hits.
- Mont Alto threatened in the top of the seventh with runners on second and third with just one-out, but Beaver induced an inning ending double play.
Penn State Mont Alto 8, Penn State Beaver 4 (F-8 innings)
- Mont Alto once again struck first as Helayna Stanko (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) singled home Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle).
- Beaver tied it up in the third inning and took the 2-1 lead on a Natalie Larkin single.
- The score remained the same until the top of the seventh when PSUMA exploded for three runs on three hits. However, Beaver tied it up in the bottom of the frame setting the stage for extra innings.
- Mont Alto capitalized on the international tiebreaker with a Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) RBI single. All together they scored four runs within the inning.
- Abbey Ebersole (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) set the table going 4-for-5, which included a double and two runs scored.
- Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring), Samantha Updegraff (Etters, Pa. / Red Land), Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle and Helayna Stanko (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) each had multi-hit games.
Penn State Mont Alto (6-6, 4-6 PSUAC) return to action on Friday, April 13 in a rescheduled road doubleheader with Penn State DuBois. The teams were originally slated to play on Sunday but the games were moved due to pending weather. Game times for Friday's doubleheader are 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.