MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team suffered a pair of losses on Wednesday as PSU DuBois recorded an 8-0 victory in the opener and edged the Lions 10-0 during game two.
Inside the Box Score
- Megan Cornwell (Carlisle, Pa. / Boiling Spring) went 1-for-2 with a double in the 8-0 loss.
- Freshman Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) was charged with taking both losses in the pitching circle as she gave up seven earned runs in the first game and six in the nightcap.
Penn State DuBois 8, Penn State Mont Alto 0
- Penn State DuBois (15-8, 13-3 PSUAC) did most of their scoring damage in the second inning building a 6-0 lead. Both Melody Young and Lizzy Scott had bases clearing hits in which scored two teammates.
- An RBI single from Lauren Fatula pushed DuBois's advantage to 7-0 and they scored the final tally when Skylar Ceprish hit a sacrifice fly to deep center field.
- Lizzy Scott threw a complete game for the visitors, allowing just two hits, while striking out eight.
Penn State DuBois 10, Penn State Mont Alto 0
- DuBois scored two or more runs in each inning except the top of the fifth as they had already built a commanding 10-0 lead.
- Samantha Saterlee, Cayleigh Huffman and Brooke Harvey each recorded two RBIs apiece.
- Harvey helped herself out in the pitching circle as she limited Mont Alto to just one hit, which was a Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) single to lead off the third inning. It was within that frame that Mont Alto were closest to scoring as two runners were left stranded on base.
- PSUMA was a bit sloppy in the field with four errors that helped contribute to the visitors scoring multiple runs.
Mont Alto (8-20, 5-11 PSUAC) will now host PSU Fayette on Friday, April 19 for a conference doubleheader. Game times were pushed up to 12 p.m. and 2 p.m. because of impending weather expected in the area on Friday evening.