MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team fed off the energy of the crowd on Senior Night on Friday, but fell just short to crosstown rival PSU York by a 75-70 score. In the teams prior meeting this season, York cruised to the 76-51 win, but at home Mont Alto played much more aggressive and it showed. Prior to tipoff the women's basketball and the cheerleading programs honored their respective seniors Madison Myers, Angel Schnoover (Woodhull, N. Y. / Jasper-Troupsburg), and Alexis Shaffer (Hagerstown, Md. / South Hagerstown) for their contributions at Nittany Lions.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore guard Charity Miller (Greencastle, Pa. / James Buchanan) paced Mont Alto with 22 points and hit four three-pointers. With her team-high five assists Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) became the programs top assist holder with 338 career helpers.
- Senior forward Alexis Shaffer (Hagerstown, Md. / South Hagerstown) established her presence in the paint off the bench finishing with a double-double at 21 points and 15 rebounds in 27 minutes. Shaffer is third in the USCAA with 13.6 rebounds per game.
- Penn State York was led by Cornia Rivera who poured in 24 points as the team finished with three other players scoring in double figures.
How it Happened
- Sugely Torres (Los Angeles, Calif. / John Marshall) came out of the gates shooting 3-for-3 in the first quarter for six points. Mont Alto built a 15-10 lead with just over two minutes left in the quarter, but PSU York went on a 10-0 run to end the period and began the second quarter still on the run taking the 20-15 lead.
- Charity Miller (Greencastle, Pa. / James Buchanan) heated up in the second quarter as her layup started a PSUMA run that tied it along with a three-pointer that put them back up 24-21 with 5:22 remaining in the half. PSU York ended the quarter on another run, this one 9-0 and took a 32-30 lead into halftime.
- Mont Alto's fresh legs out of the break propelled them to a 45-38 lead as Shaffer also coming up big scoring several second-chance baskets in the post.
- PSU York finished the final two minutes of the third quarter on a 11-0 run and PSUMA's defense couldn't hold up in the fourth quarter as they gave up 22 points.
- PSU York hit free throws down the stretch to put the lead out of reach.
Penn State Mont Alto will conclude their season on the road on Monday, February 12 in a doubleheader with PSU Hazleton. Game time is slated for 6 p.m.