MEDIA, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team traveled to Brandywine this evening for their Pennsylvania State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) opener as Brandywine defeated Mont Alto by a score of 78-51.
Inside the Box Score
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) connected on 6-of-14 shots from the field to lead Mont Alto with 14 points. The freshman guard also finished with four rebounds and two steals.
- Mont Alto had a poor shooting night as the Nittany Lions shot 27.4 percent from the field and 20 percent from three-point range.
- The turnover bug also struck PSUMA, Brandywine forced 25 turnovers on the night. Nikki Velez led all scorers with 27 points as Brandi James and Dana D'Ambrosio also finished in double figures.
- Mont Alto scored 20 points in the paint with Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) having a solid game with seven points and five boards.
How it Happened
- Brandywine jumped out to the 21-10 first quarter lead. Mont Alto rallied in the second period as they had success getting to the charity stripe. The Lions scored 11-of-14 from the free throw line as they closed the gap to ten points, at 37-27 at the halftime break. Rebekah Adams (York, Pa. / Central York) scored three points from the line.
- Brandywine increased their lead to 21 points on a Nikki Velez triple that put them up 61-40.
- The home team outscored Mont Alto by a 17-11 margin in the fourth quarter.
Mont Alto will look to grab a win this weekend in a road affair with Penn State Lehigh Valley on Saturday at 1 p.m.