MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team was within striking distance for much of the evening, but a strong fourth quarter run by Wilson College enabled them to the 53-41 win on Monday. The Phoenix improved to 13-8 overall, while Mont Alto dropped to 8-13 on the season.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto was held to 24.6 percent from the floor but converted on 6-of-21 attempts from 3-point range. A couple of the buckets from downtown swung the momentum PSUMA's way.
- Three different starters finished in double figures for Wilson. Michaela Singer led all scorers with 19, while Kai Wyatt added 18 points and Lindsey Purvis recorded a double-double with 11 points and 16 rebounds.
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) scored 13 points. Sophomore guard Julianne Noveras (Gaithersburg, Md. / Gaithersburg) drilled a pair of 3-pointers for 12 points as she also added nine rebounds and three steals.
- It wasn't until the fourth quarter in which Wilson pulled away for a double figure lead.
How it Happened
- A pair of 3-pointers from Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) and Kyah Rucker (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) cut the early Phoenix advantage to 13-10. The visitors hit four free throws within the final minute to take a 17-13 lead into the second period.
- PSUMA tied it up at 23 points apiece after a Noveras 3-pointer that was assisted by Newell. The teams essentially traded baskets during the final five minutes of the half with the Lions 10 offensive rebounds leading to several second chance opportunities. They went into halftime trialing 26-23.
- A sloppy start by both teams ensued before a Lindsey Purvus second chance bucket put Wilson up 37-30. A strong Mont Alto run towards the end of the quarter cut the deficit to 41-37 after another Noveras trey. The Lions forced seven turnovers within the quarter.
- Wilson executed their game plan in the final period and held PSUMA to only four points. The Phoenix held on for the 53-41 win.
Mont Alto returns to action on Wednesday, February 6 in a non-conference home matchup with Trinity Washington. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.