MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team fought back from an early 3-0 deficit with two goals on four shots to go into halftime trailing 3-2 to PSU Hazleton (7-5, 5-1 PSUAC). The visiting Hazleton Lions netted two unanswered in the final 45 minutes for the 5-2 conference win in a Penn State University Athletic Conference match.
Mont Alto honored breast cancer and all cancer survivors along with the men's program in its annual "Pink Out" as they honored survivors of cancer during a halftime presentation of the women's match. The team's also held a silent auction all afternoon long where they raised $694 for the Cumberland Valley Breast Care Alliance.
Inside the Box Score
- Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) scored an unassisted effort in the 25th minute, which was her third goal of the season.
- Shania Atherton (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) recorded her first assist of the season on a through ball that was finished off by Kiara Pensinger (McConnellsburg, Pa. / Central Fulton) in the 40th minute. The goal was the second of the season for the freshman forward.
- Mont Alto (2-6, 1-3 PSUAC) ran out of gas in the second half and was unable to register a shot on goal as they were outshot 13-0 by Hazleton in the period.
- Senior Angel Schoonover (Woodhull, N. Y. / Jasper-Tropsburg) finished with 14 saves.
How it Happened
- Goals by Breann Fetterman, Katie Oldziejewski, and Emma Wyllie in the opening 24 minutes gave PSU Hazleton the 3-0 lead.
- Mont Alto fought back with two goals on four shots to close the deficit to one goal, going into the halftime break at 3-2.
- Ariel Rowlands put Hazleton up 4-2, and Oldziejewski finished with two goals as she found the back of the net in the 58th minute for the final goal of the match.
The Lions return to action on Wednesday, October 17 in a home match with Penn State Scranton. The PSUAC matchup is slated for a 4 p.m. start as the team will celebrate Senior Day prior to the match.