MCKEESPORT, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team dropped their Penn State University Athletic Conference road opener on Saturday afternoon to PSU Greater Allegheny. Mont Alto jumped out to leads in each set before fallings 3-0 (25-20, 25-10, 25-21).
Inside the Box Score
- Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) and Courtney Stump (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) led the way for Mont Alto (1-3, 0-1 PSUAC) with four kills each.
- Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) rounded up 10 digs and added 10 assists to go with her three kills.
- PSUGA especially out-hit Mont Alto in the third set with 10 more kills (16-6).
- Alix Ellis had 15 kills and 3 blocks for Penn State Greater Allegheny (1-4, 1-0 PSUAC).
How it Happened
- Mont Alto grabbed a 6-2 lead that was punctuated by a Courtney Stump (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) kill. PSUGA battled back to tie it at 7-7, before Mont Alto regained momentum with a series of attacking errors by their opponents to regain the lead at 14-9. Greater Allegheny would seize the momentum towards the end of the set for the 25-20 win.
- The teams battled back and forth within the second set with the homestanding Lions earning a 9-8 lead over Mont Alto. Greater Allegheny rattled off 16-straight points to pull out to the 24-9 lead before eventually winning the set at 25-10.
- The final set was another back and forth tilt with the teams trading the lead on three different occasions. PSU Greater Allegheny maintained the lead after a Kara Rodriguez kill at 14-13 throughout the rest of the set.
The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team is slated to return to non-conference action on Monday, September 10 in a home matchup with Christendom College. The match is slated to begin at 7 p.m.