MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team continued its recent surge of strong play in a 3-0 sweep over Penn State New Kensington on Wednesday evening. The victory marked the squads sixth-straight as they improved to 9-8 overall and 3-3 in the PSUAC.
Mont Alto extended its winning streak by hitting .189 as a team and its defense limited PSU New Kensington (5-8, 0-6 PSUAC) to a .040 percentage. The teams played a back and forth first set before Mont Alto settled in after a string of attacking errors from the visitors leading to a 25-21 win. PSUMA used the momentum to cruise through the second and third sets. Six different players recorded a kill for Mont Alto.
- Mont Alto won 25-21, 25-15, 25-9
Inside the Box Score
- Breanne Byers (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) finished with a match-high 10 kills.
- Courtney Stump (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) had a strong two-way effort with 24 digs and eight kills.
- Reigning PSUAC Setter of the Week Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) finished with 29 assists and she served up two service aces.
- Freshman Melanie Tracey (York, Pa. / Dallastown Area) added 18 digs as fellow newcomer Kirstyn Black (Saint Thomas Pa. / James Buchanan) finished with five kills and three block solos.
- Kaylea Flick finished with seven kills and 10 digs for PSU New Kensington.
Mont Alto returns to action in a home PSUAC matchup with Penn State Greater Allegheny on Saturday, October 6 at 2 p.m.