MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team revenged an earlier season loss to Penn State Greater Allegheny with a 3-0 sweep (25-14, 25-22, 25-15) over the visiting Lions on Saturday afternoon.
Inside the Box Score
- Courtney Stump (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) came out swinging and connected on 17 kills for Mont Alto (10-8, 2-4 PSUAC). The 17-kill effort tied a season-best for Stump who matched that same output against PSU Beaver on September 16.
- Breanne Byers (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) and Kirstyn Black (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) finished with seven kills apiece.
- Fellow newcomer Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) had a solid two-way effort finishing with three kills and five service aces to go along with 12 digs.
- Alix Ellis was the top hitter for Penn State Greater Allegheny (8-10, 2-4 PSUAC) finishing with 11 kills as she also finished with a match-high seven block solos. Sieblesierra Ili had 18 assists and 12 digs for the visitors.
How it Happened
- The team's traded points to begin the first set before Mont Alto went on a stretch of eight-straight points that put them up 19-13. Within the stretch Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) served up a pair of aces. Mont Alto held on for the 25-14 win.
- The second set was by far the most competitive, but Mont Alto was consistently able to dig several Greater Allegheny attacking efforts to come away with the victory.
- Mont Alto had all the momentum in the third set, winning 25-15 as the team combined for a .167 kill percentage.
Mont Alto goes for a season sweep of Penn State Beaver on Sunday in a road match at 12 p.m.