MONACA, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team saw it's seven-match win streak snapped on Sunday by Penn State Beaver. Mont Alto traveled to Monaca, Pa., to complete the conference home and away series as Beaver came out on top in each of the three sets.
Inside the Box Score
- Breanne Byers (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) finished with a team-high nine kills. Fellow freshman Kirstyn Black (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) was the next best attacker finishing with eight kills.
- PSUMA finished with four service aces, but also had six service errors.
- Melanie Tracey (York, Pa. / Dallastown Area) finished with a match-best 22 digs.
- Penn State Beaver had a collective attacking effort with Brooke Tomasko finishing with 12 kills, Stephanie Stadjuhar nine kills, and Amanda Mike finished with eight.
How it Happened
- Penn State Beaver won set one 25-21, took the second set 25-18 and held on in the third set 27-25.
- In the first set, PSU Beaver ran out to an 8-4 lead, which forced a Mont Alto timeout. The PSUMA attackers finally strung together several consecutive points and forced a Beaver timeout when the visitors tied it up at 15 points apiece. The set remained close until Stephanie Stdjudjar won her team consecutive points, which gave Beaver a six-point lead at 23-17. Beaver went on to take the second set 25-18.
- The third set was by far the most competitive with Mont Alto earning a match point at 25-24, but Beaver won a tip play to earn the tie and won two-straight points for the three-set sweep.
Mont Alto returns to action in a road match on Friday, October 12 against the University of Valley Forge. The match is slated to begin at 7 p.m.