MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team trounced the Tigers of Trinity Washington University on Monday evening in the team's final match of the 2018 regular season. PSUMA won in three sets in a dominating fashion with the win also serving as a tune up before the PSUAC Playoff quarterfinal matchup with PSU Fayette on Wednesday, October 24.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Courtney Stump (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) led the team with nine kills and fellow captain Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) surprised the visitors on several occasions and finished with a season-high seven kills. Muse led both teams with 17 assists.
- Freshman Breanne Byers (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) piled up six kills as high school teammates Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) and Kirstyn Black (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) finished with three kills apiece.
- The Nittany Lions served up 18 aces, which included a team-high five from Katie Muse.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto started off the match red-hot and never looked back after building a 5-0 lead. The Lions cruised during their first set, quickly gathering 25 points while holding Trinity Washington to just nine points.
- The second set started the same way with Mont Alto holding Trinity to 11 points within the game, while 11 different girls saw action for the Lions.
- PSUMA started the third set with more of the same; the Lions rounded off the set at 25-6 to complete the sweep.
Mont Alto will head to Lamont Furnace, Pa. where they will face Penn State Fayette in the PSUAC Playoffs quarterfinals matchup in the West Division on Wednesday, October 24. Fayette earned the right to host as the No. 1 seed with the match slated to begin at 6 p.m.