LEMONT FURNACE, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team traveled to Western Pennsylvania on Saturday afternoon and squared off against Penn State Fayette for a PSUAC contest. Mont Alto rallied from an early first half deficit and never looked back in a convincing 76-57 victory over the Roaring Lions.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior guard Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) was nearly lights out from the field all afternoon long finishing with a game-high 18 points. He drained three shots from downtown to go with eight makes from the floor.
- John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) established his presence in the paint and had a career-best output. The freshman forward drained 6-of-9 shots within the paint for 12 points as he also grabbed three rebounds.
- Mont Alto's depth and bench scoring turned out to be one of the keys to victory with PSUMA's bench outscoring Fayette by a 31-4 margin. Shun Hickman (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) and Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) contributed 10 points and seven points apiece.
- PSUMA shot 49.2 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from 3-point range and held the Roaring Lions to a 40.7 percent clip from the floor.
- Penn State Fayette was led by Iman Young who scored 17 points.
How it Happened
- Penn State Fayette grabbed the early first half lead, but Mont Alto's defense slowed the pace and their offence settled in after the home team lead by four after the first seven minutes. PSUMA grabbed its first lead at the 12:37 mark and never looked back.
- Mont Alto carried a 35-29 lead into the halftime break as Smith scored 15 points within the period.
- PSUMA's offense was more balanced in the second half with John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) and Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) each scoring eight points within the half.
- Mont Alto lead by as much as 19 points and coasted to the 76-57 final.
Penn State Mont Alto (7-3, 4-2 PSUAC) will play their next pair of games in Miami, Florida. The Nittany Lions will play USCAA D1 opponents in Florida National on Tuesday, December 18 and Florida Memorial University on Wedneday, December 19.
Be sure to stay to date with all of your Penn State Mont Alto news, scores, and awards by following @PSUMAathletics on Twitter and by liking the "Penn State Mont Alto Athletics " Facebook page.