SCHUYLKILL HAVEN, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team didn't have much trouble with Penn State Schuylkill on Friday evening with the team improving to 12-6 overall and 9-3 in conference play as they posted a 77-56 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) led Mont Alto with 20 points, six rebounds and four blocks.
- John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) was perfect from the field scoring 13 points on 6-of-6 shooting. The freshman forward corralled six rebounds.
- Coming off of Coach Schenzel's bench, Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) and Drew Pitzer (Bunker Hill, W.Va. / Musselman) provided a scoring punch for the Lions with a combined 24 points.
- Mont Alto went 10-of-30 from 3-point range (33 percent).
- The Lions held Penn State Schuylkill (6-11, 4-7 PSUAC) to just 35.8 percent shooting from the field and 5-of 20 from downtown.
- Khari Thompson and Devin King were the only two that finished in double figures for Schuylkill with 10 points apiece.
- PSUMA held the slim 35-34 advantage in rebounds for the game.
How it Happened
- There were two ties within the game, both of which occurred within the first five minutes of the game. After the score was tied at four points apiece, PSUMA went on a 25-12 run that was capped off by a Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) steal and layup that forced an opposing timeout.
- Mont Alto continued the momentum over the final six minutes of the half and held a 40-29 advantage going into the halftime break.
- The Lions extended the lead to as many as 23 down the stretch and were on cruise control for much of the second half. The squad held on for the 77-56 final margin of victory,
Penn State Mont Alto will be back in action tomorrow, January 26, where it will travel to take on Penn State Hazleton at 3 p.m. in another PSUAC matchup.