MONT ALTO, Pa. – Senior guard Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) scored a season-high 25 points and finished with a double-double to lead Mont Alto to an 83-63 PSUAC victory on Tuesday evening. Fellow senior Jalen Smith (Ranson, W.Va. / Jefferson) chipped in 20 points and converted on 2-of-4 attempts from downtown. Mont Alto improved to 14-6 overall and 11-3 in the PSUAC.
Inside the Boxscore
- Holston shot 9-of-13 from the field and drained a pair of 3-pointers to go along with his 10 rebounds.
- Freshman forward John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) finished with his first career double-double with 15 boards and 10 points.
- Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) and Drew Pitzer (Bunker Hill, W.Va. / Musselman) provided a scoring punch off the bench with a combined 17 points.
- PSUMA shot 46.9 percent from the field and were 9-of-22 as a team from 3-point range. The Lions also held the 48-36 advantage on the boards.
- London Hoxie scored 18 as Iman Young and Marvin Sidon both finished with 11 points. Sidon also dished out 11 assists.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto opened the game on a 7-0, which eventually turned into a 15-6 lead that was capped off by a Jalen Smith (Ranson, W. Va. / Jefferson) 3-pointer. Hot shooting and another trey off the hands of Drew Pitzer (Bunker Hill, W.Va. / Musselman) put the home team up 21-8 with just over 12 minutes left in the first half.
- A mini Fayette run made it 34-19 and forced a PSUMA timeout at the 7:23 mark. Another 8-0 run to close the half put the Roaring Lions in striking distance, trailing 40-32.
- Mont Alto committed nine turnovers, most of which happened over last five minutes of the first half.
- Fayette opened the second half on a 10-1 run and took their one and only lead of the game at 42-41.
- Kevin Holston (Fort Washington, Md. / Friendly) forced a turnover and converted on a fast break layup that put his team back up 46-42.
- Mont Alto tightened up their defense and led 64-49 after a Holston trey. They iced Fayette down the stretch, maintaining a double-digit advantage for the better part of the final 10-minutes of the game.
Penn State Mont Alto squares off against the first-place team in the PSUAC East in Wilkes-Barre (15-3, 13-0 PSUAC) on Friday, February 1. Game time is slated for 8 p.m.