MONT ALTO, Pa. – Penn State Mont Alto freshman forward JR Powe (Frederick, Md. / Thomas Johnson) broke the program record for most rebounds in a single game with 24 as he helped lead the team to a 68-54 win over PSU Greater Allegheny. Powe scored a team-high 20 points, with the win Mont Alto improves to 3-2 overall and 1-0 in the PSUAC.
Inside the Box Score
- The double-double was the first of his collegiate career for JR Powe (Frederick, Md. / Thomas Johnson).
- PSUGA shot 18-of-61 from the field compared to Mont Alto who connected on 25-of-60 attempts.
- Mont Alto held a huge advantage on the boards, finishing with a 59-24 advantage
- Darius Bush (Martinsburg, W.Va. / Spring Mills) chipped in 12 points off the bench and Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W.Va. / Jefferson) added 14 points.
How it Happened
- Both teams came out fired up and the pace was frantic on both ends of the court. It was quickly tied at 15 points apiece with 12 minutes left after a Kenny Rouse jumper for Greater Allegheny. After trailing 27-19, Mont Alto cut into the visitors lead by hitting their free throws and tied it up at 33 on a Darius Bush (Martinsburg, W.Va. / Spring Mills) 3-pointer with 3:39 remaining in the half.
- Bush connected on another trey giving Mont Alto the 38-35 lead and took the 40-37 lead into halftime. PSUGA shot nearly 50 percent from downtown within the first half, while Mont Alto shot 41.2 percent from the field and added 10 points from the charity stripe.
- Physical play from end-to-end within the first five minutes out of the half favored Mont Alto. They were able to force a series of quick turnovers and transition play allowed them to jump out to a 51-43 lead after a Marcus Roper (Charles Town, W.Va. / Jefferson) layup. After a PSUGA timeout, Mont Alto further added to its lead at 58-46 with 9:30 left.
- Greater Allegheny went stone cold from the field, while Mont Alto continued to drain shots and built a 66-48. The teams essentially traded baskets from their with PSUMA holding the visiting Lions to just 17 points within the second half.
Mont Alto held on for the 68-54 win and will return to action on Friday, November 22 in a road game at Penn State Shenango. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m.