MONT ALTO, Pa. – After a come from behind overtime victory a day ago over PSU Shenango, the Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team held off PSU New Kensington 79-60 on Saturday.
Inside the Box Score
- Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) poured in a game-high 22 points. He shot 5-for-11 from 3-point range, while adding seven rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- Marcus Roper (Charlestown, W. Va. / Jefferson) was the next best scorer with 12 points. Freshman Derron Snider (Brandywine, Md. / Oxon Hill) came off the bench and chipped in a collegiate-best 11 points. He led the Nittany Lions second unit who added a total of 24 points.
- Mont Alto improves to 5-2 and 3-0 within the PSUAC, while with the loss dropped New Kensington's record to 0-6 and 0-3 within the conference.
- Brian Davidson was PSUNK's leading scorer with 11 points.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto opened the game on an early 12-0 as they actually led from start to finish. Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) spearheaded the PSUMA offensive attack netting 12 points within the first half. New Kensington tightened up its defense after a 30-second timeout with 6:59 remaining in the half as they trailed 29-13. Out of the timeout, New Kensington chipped away at the deficit and went on a 17-4 run and only trailed 33-30 going into halftime.
- PSUMA played fired up in the second half and put the game away thanks to solid defense, while hitting 15-of-33 shots from the field and four shots from downtown.
- Mont Alto opened up the largest lead of the game at 27 points with 3:51 remaining after a John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) jumper that made it 76-49.
- The Nittany Lions held off any potential comeback attempt for the 79-60 final.
Up next, the Mont Alto basketball team will return to action on Tuesday, December 3 in another PSUAC conference matchup. PSUMA will host Penn State Lehigh Valley in the Multipurpose Activities Center with tip-off scheduled for 8 p.m.