MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's soccer team battled hard all afternoon long against the visiting Lions from Penn State New Kensington in a humid conference matchup. New Kensington needed just one goal and it came in the ninth minute as the visitors scored the 1-0 win over Mont Alto.
Inside the Box Score
- New Kensington led PSUMA in shots at 16-13 and shots on goal also favored the visitors at 11-6.
- Sophomore goalkeeper Austin Moore (Brockway, Pa. / Brockway Area) was outstanding in goal for Mont Alto rounding up 10 saves.
- Mont Alto was the more dangerous team in the second half especially in front of goal as they rallied for five corner kick opportunities within the half, but just weren't able to put the ball into the back of the net.
How it Happened
- Penn State New Kensington (5-4, 4-1 PSUAC) caught the Mont Alto defense and midfield on their heels a bit and Carlos Colindres sprung Brady Braun who was able put it in the back of the net.
- Mont Alto was unable to answer before the half as PSUNK held onto the 1-0 lead through the halftime break. River Terry (Huntingdon, Pa. / Huntingdon Area) nearly equalized in the 42nd minute but his header fizzed wide left.
- PSUMA had their chances again in the second half but visiting keeper Joshua Zakrzewski was also to task as he finished with six saves including four within the second half.
- Trenton Shetler (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) had a dangerous strike off a set piece that was saved by Zakrzewski in the 75th minute.
Next up, Mont Alto (7-5, 2-3 PSUAC) travel to Penn State Scranton for a pivotal conference match on Friday, October 4 at 4 p.m.