MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team opened up Penn State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) play this afternoon when it hosted PSU New Kensington for a doubleheader. Mont Alto swept the visitors by scores of 12-4 and 9-1 to improve to 4-0 overall.
Penn State Mont Alto 12, Penn State New Kensington 4 (5 innings)
- Playing in its home opener on a chilly afternoon, Mont Alto fell behind early as Lauren Torgent slugged a three-run homer in the top of the first to give New Kensington the 3-0 lead.
- Mont Alto would go on to score seven runs including two in the bottom half of the inning. Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) doubled home Abby Ebersole (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) and Tabetha McIe (Baltimore, Md. / Patapsco) singled to right field, which plated Wagner from second base.
- Mont Alto exploded for five more runs in the bottom of the second inning on five hits. Ebersole, Wagner, and McIe each tallied an RBI within the stanza.
- New Kensington made it 7-4 in the top of the third after another home run, but PSUMA would respond again adding to its lead with four more runs in the fourth and would mercy its opponent in the bottom of the fifth inning when Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) singled home Abby Ebersole (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area).
- Cassidy Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) earned her second win of the season in the circle as she gave up all four runs, but struck out five.
- Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) and Tabetha McIe (Baltimore, Md. / Patapsco) both went a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate. The freshman due combined for five RBIs.
Penn State Mont Alto 9, Penn State New Kensington 1 (5 innings)
- Mont Alto used a five-run second inning to break the game open.
- Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) and Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) both had multi-hit games with Feaser driving in a pair of runs and Wagner finishing with a game-high three RBIs.
- New Kensington scored its lone run in the fourth when Mackenzie Brymesser (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) gave up a two-out RBI double to Alyssa Slancauskas.
- Brymesser wasn't tested much with New Kensington only managing three hits off the sophomore. The Newville, Pa. native finished with six strikeouts within the pitching circle.
- Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) hit a pair of triples including a bases clearing attempt in the second inning. Wagner has started her 2018 season red-hot at the plate with the freshman owning a .923 batting average through the first four games of the season.
Mont Alto (4-0, 2-0 PSUAC) looks to complete the season sweep of Penn State New Kensington with a road doubleheader scheduled for Monday, April 2 at 2 p.m. PSUMA was originally slated to play Penn State Beaver on the road Saturday, but the game has been postponed due to an unplayable field at Beaver.