LEMONT FURNACE, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team continued PSUAC division play with an away doubleheader against PSU Fayette on Friday afternoon. Mont Alto fell by an 8-4 score but earned the split with a 5-3 comeback win in the second game.
Penn State Fayette 8, Penn State Mont Alto 4 (F)
- Samantha Updegraff (Etters, Pa. / Red Land) went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBIs to lead the PSUMA offense.
- Cassidy Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) took the loss in pitching circle as she was let down from a trio of fielding errors. The senior gave up eight runs, four of which were earned.
- Mont Alto came out swinging and built a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning.
- Fayette chipped away at the PSUMA lead scoring a run in both the second and third frames to cut the deficit to 3-2. After a hitless top of the frame, the home team scored four runs in the bottom of the fourth to break the game open.
- PSUMA made it 7-4 when Tabetha McIe (Baltimore, Md. / Patapsco) singled to open the fifth and scored when Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) reached on a bases loaded error by the Fayette third basemen.
- Fayette scored an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth as they out-hit Mont Alto 10-8.
Penn State Mont Alto 5, Penn State Fayette 3 (F)
- Mont Alto erased a 3-0 deficit with a five run top of the third inning to take the 5-3 lead. Samantha Updegraff (Etters, Pa. / Red Land) and Mackenzie Brymesser (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) chipped in RBIs within the inning.
- Brymesser earned the win within the circle limiting Fayette to just five hits. The Roaring Lions scored three runs, but none of them were earned as the sophomore also struck out a pair.
Penn State Mont Alto (10-8, 8-8, PSUAC) finish its series with Fayette tomorrow with a road doubleheader slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.