MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team hosted PSU Hazleton on Wednesday afternoon and dropped both ends of a doubleheader to the Lions. Hazleton won the first game by a 12-0 score and earned the sweep with a 19-4 non-conference win.
Penn State Hazleton 12, Penn State Mont Alto 0
- Hazleton started off the top of the first inning with hot bats and scored four runs within the opening frame. Overall the visiting Lions managed four hits within the inning.
- The visitors added an insurance effort in the second inning before adding four more runs in the fourth for the 12-0 final.
- Samantha Varela blasted a two-run homer in the final frame and Madison Clark earned the win in the pitching circle. She was able to hold PSUMA to just one hit, while striking out five.
Penn State Hazleton 19, Penn State Mont Alto 4
- PSU Hazleton picked up where they left off in the first game and scored 11 runs in the top of the first inning. Varela sent a three-run homer over the fence within the inning and Mont Alto made it 11-1 when Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) grounded into a fielder's choice in which Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) scored.
- Seven more runs were scored an inning later giving the visitors the 18-1 lead.
- Senior Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) was a bright spot for PSUMA as she connected on her first homer of the season in the third inning. She drove in three runs on her third career home run.
Mont Alto (6-16) returns to PSUAC action on Saturday, April 13 with a road doubleheader against Penn State DuBois. First pitch is slated for 1 p.m.