MONT ALTO, Pa. - The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team closed the game on a 23-4 run over the final nine minutes, but their fourth quarter comeback fell just short on Wednesday evening. PSUMA dropped a road contest by a narrow 66-62 decision to Penn State Beaver.
Inside the Box Score
- Diamond Thomas led all scorers with 22 points on 8-of-13 shooting from the field. Emily Keener also finished in double figures for Penn State Beaver (13-2, 7-0 PSUAC).
- Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) tallied her second-straight double-double with 18 points and 14 rebounds.
- Julianne Noveras (Gaithersburg, Md. / Gaithersburg) scored 15 points, added four assists, and three steals.
- PSUMA held Penn State Beaver to 2-of-24 from the field in the fourth quarter, which enabled the comeback attempt.
- Kyah Rucker (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) totaled seven rebounds and five points.
How it Happened
- Neither team recorded a point until a little over two minutes of play when Julianne Noveras (Gaithersburg, Md. / Gaithersburg) splashed a 3-pointer. The teams traded baskets for the rest of the period with Beaver holding a 13-9 advantage after one quarter of play.
- PSU Beaver opened the second quarter on a mini 8-0 run and opened a double digit advantage after a Emily Keener 3-pointer that put her team up 21-9 with 8:33 left in the period. Mont Alto closed the quarter on a run of its own and went into halftime trailing 37-27.
- Beaver went on to build its largest lead of the game in the third quarter (61-35) after a Jimya Chambers jumper. Mont Alto closed the quarter with a Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) bucket and played its best basketball of the game within the final period.
- Mont Alto shot 45 percent from the field and 2-of-7 from downtown with both 3-pointers coming within the final minute of play.
The Lions (4-11, 1-8 PSUAC) continue on their three-game road swing with a PSUAC contest against Penn State Schuylkill on Friday, January 25. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m.