MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team was unable to overcome a 50-27 rebound advantage to PSU Fayette who secured the 82-59 conference win on Tuesday.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto shot 39 percent from the field and converted on 5-of-14 shots 3-point range.
- Senior Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) scored a team-high 16 points and was 6-of-12 from the field. Fellow guard Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) was equally as efficient from the fields and chipped in 15 points.
- Kaityln Riley and Dae-lin Bursworth who scored 23 points and 21 points, respectively, led Fayette.
- The Roaring Lions also scored 40 points in the paint.
How it Happened
- Penn State Fayette (7-12, 4-5 PSUAC) got off to a fast start gaining a 12-6 lead as they established themselves within the paint. However, a Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) 3-pointer cut the lead to 22-17 with 22 seconds remaining in the first quarter.
- The teams traded baskets before a Julianne Noveras (Gaithersburg, Md. / Gaithersburg) trey gave PSUMA its first lead of the game at 28-27. Fayette closed the quarter on an 11-0 run over the final 1:57 of the half to go into break up, 38-28.
- A Kyah Rucker (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) 3-pointer to open the third quarter cut the deficit to 38-31. The baskets really didn't fall for Mont Alto as they shot 23.1 percent from the field and trailed 38-28 going into the final period.
- The offensive rebounds especially in the fourth quarter helped the visiting Roaring Lions matain a double digit lead throughout the final 10 minutes and they were 3-of-5 from downtown, which helped them to the 82-59 final.
Penn State Mont Alto (6-12, 3-9 PSUAC) return to action on Friday, February 1 with a home game against Penn State Wilkes-Barre. Tip-off is slated for 6 p.m.