NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team played in its final away game of the 2018-19 season and held on for a 48-32 on Wednesday evening.
Inside the Box Score
- Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) led all scorers with 19 points as the freshman forward finished one board shy of a double-double with nine rebounds.
- Senior guard Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) also finished in double figures with 10 points. She added five assists.
- Neither team shot particularly well from the field with Mont Alto finishing at 34.4 percent from the floor. Meanwhile, defensively they were able to hold New Kensington to 25 percent. Erika Finn finished with 12 points and 11 rebounds for PSUNK.
- Mont Alto scored 19 points off of the Lions 27 turnovers.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto opened the game on a 10-2 run after a Julianne Noveras (Gaithersburg, Md. / Gaithersburg) hit a jumper with 3:35 left in the quarter. However, the team was held to just one more made bucket within the period and did carry a 12-6 lead.
- PSUMA began settling for shots on many of their possessions and in turn came up empty handed several different times offensively, but they still held a 22-19 lead at the halftime break.
- The third quarter was arguably the most ugly of the game as there were only a combined seven made shots by both teams. Mont Alto began rolling towards the end of the period and carried the momentum into the fourth where they outscored their opponents by a 16-8 margin.
- Within the fourth quarter, Martin scored eight points within the post and her team raced out to its largest lead of the game (48-30). The Lions held on for the 48-32 victory.
Mont Alto returns to action on Friday, February 15 as the team will celebrate Senior Day against Penn State DuBois. Prior to the 6 p.m. tip, Mont Alto will celebrate the careers of Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) and Rebekah Adams (York, Pa. / Central York).