MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball fed off the early crowd energy and seemed poised to close out the season on a high note, but Penn State DuBois erased a one-point halftime deficit to rally past Mont Alto 78-58 on Senior Night Friday evening. Prior to tip-off the program honored Rebekah Adams (York, Pa. / Central York) and Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) for their outstanding contributions over the years.
Inside the Box Score
- Coleman and Adams closed out their careers with a combined 11 points. Adams finished with a season-high six rebounds and Coleman stuffed the stat sheet. She closed out with seven points, six boards, five assists and three steals.
- Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) led Mont Alto in scoring from the post with 18 points. She also grabbed seven rebounds.
- Fellow newcomer Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) added 11 points in 22 minutes.
- Mont Alto shot 2-of-16 from the field and were 0-for-4 from 3-point range, which allowed DuBois to outscore them 26-6 in the third quarter.
- The game featured nine different lead changes with many of them occurring within the first half.
- DuBois used their size advantage and outrebounded PSUMA 58-34.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto rode the early crowd energy to a 12-7 lead, which involved a pair of Rebekah Adams (York, Pa. / Central York) baskets. Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) hit a buzzer-beating jumper to end the quarter with PSUMA leading 17-16.
- The teams swapped baskets for the majority of the second period with neither team able to gain more than a 3-point advantage over each other.
- After the score was tied 28-28 with a little over two minutes left, Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) hit a try that put her team up 33-32. They held on to that lead through the halftime break.
- DuBois started the third quarter on an 8-3 run and retook the lead at 41-35 with 6:38 remaining. Despite a couple of Coach Miller timeouts the visiting Lions continued to roll outscoring them 26-6 within the period.
- The visitors maintained their double-digit advantage through the fourth, as PSUMA's pressure defense was too little too late. PSU DuBois held on for the 78-58 final.
Penn State Mont Alto closes out the 2018-19 season with a 10-14 overall record and just missed out on qualifying for the PSUAC Tournament. The program experienced a five-win improvement from a season ago and has a lot to build on moving forward.