MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team rebounded perfectly and earned their first win of the 2019 season in a 5-2 come from behind effort against Central Penn on Wednesday. PSUMA (1-1) heavily outshot the Knights in the match, 25-11 and used 4 goals within the second half to overpower the opponent.
Inside the Box Score
- Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) made the start in goal and settled down to make a career-high seven saves.
- Mont Alto utilized five different goal scorers as their finishing abilities improved as the game went on.
- PSUMA held the 4-0 advantage in corner kicks with three of them occurring in the second half.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto began the game a bit lackadaisical as the teams traded shots before Central Penn opened the scoring in the 10th minute when Madeline Gleason played a through ball that Erika Morgan scored on.
- The Knights made it 2-0 just over five minutes later when the defense was split and Wislene Verna punished the Nittany Lions.
- A switch was flipped as Mont Alto began to dominate possession of the ball and was rewarded in the 16th minute when Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) fed a cross inside the box that was finished off by Natalia Molina (Fredrick, Md. / Urbana) for her first goal of her career.
- Mont Alto went into the halftime break trailing 2-1, but things really clicked in the second half as the team held a 18-2 advantage in shots within the second half.
- Sarah Mackey (Norfolk, Va. / Granby) scored her first collegiate goal in the 52nd minute and Kaitlin Provard (Mont Alto, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) did the same in the 63rd minute when she fired the ball into the back of the net to put her team up 3-2.
- Reigning PSUAC Soccer Player of the Week Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) joined the scoring party when her shot went into the upper left corner of the net. An insurance effort that made it 5-2 was scored when Tori Stouffer (Orrstown, Pa. / Cumberland Christian Valley) headed another Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) cross that was whipped into the box for the final goal of the game at 82:04.
Penn State Mont Alto returns to action on Saturday, September 7 with a home match at 12 p.m. against Fredrick Community College.