MONT ALTO. Pa. – No. 2 seed Penn State Mont Alto hosted the No. 3 seed in the semifinals of the PSUAC Women's Soccer Tournament on Saturday afternoon and after a scoreless first half, Hazleton was victorious by a 4-2 score. Hazleton moves on to play the winner of PSU Brandywine and PSU Scranton, which play later this evening.
Inside the Box Score
- Hazleton finished the match outshooting Mont Alto by a 19-16 margin.
- Katie Oldziejewski netted a hat trick for Hazleton, recording a match-high seven shots.
- Both goalkeepers dealt with a steady rain throughout most of the match. PSUMA keeper Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) tallied eight saves.
How it Happened
- It was another ultra competitive affair between the two schools after they finished in a 1-1 tie in the final game of the regular season a week ago. Neither team really threatened scoring a goal within the first half. Mont Alto held a 5-4 advantage in shots.
- The second half was a completely different story with six combined goals. PSUMA opened the scoring in a frantic sequence in the 49th minute. Senior Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) headed the ball that initially hit the cross bar but she headed it again off of the rebound and into the back of the net.
- Eight minutes later Katie Oldziejewski netted her first of three, but Mont Alto had a response just a 1:13 later. Tori Stouffer (Orrstown, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) netted her team-leading 11th goal of the season off a feed from Shirley.
- The lead was short lived with the visitors netting the equalizer at the 60:20 mark. Oldziejewski put her team up 3-2 in the 73rd minute with an assist from Breann Fetterman.
- Fetterman assisted the final goal of the game, which occurred in the 89th minute when Emma Wyllie scored the insurance effort.
Mont Alto likely concludes it's season with an 8-6-1 overall record. The eight wins were the most in program history and the team has a solid foundation of returners expected back in 2020.