MONT ALTO, Pa. – In the programs' first-ever meeting, the Penn State Mont Alto baseball team split a non-conference doubleheader this afternoon with crosstown rivals Wilson College. Mont Alto led from start to finish winning the first game 7-3 but dropped the nightcap 5-1. The Nittany Lions move to 7-8 overall.
Penn State Mont Alto 7, Wilson College 3
- Mont Alto drew first blood when Caleb Leggett (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport) laced a single to right center field that scored Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown). The Nittany Lions made it 3-0 in the bottom of the third inning when Chayse Fisher (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) cleared the bases with a two-out single. PSUMA added one more insurance run within the inning as AJ Millar (Harrisburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) also produced an RBI single.
- The Nittany Lions added three more runs in the bottom half of the fifth inning. Fisher rocketed an RBI single to center field, Martin scored on a fielder's choice and Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) made it 7-0 when he drew a bases loaded walk.
- Senior Lowell Singer (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) earned his first win of the season tossing 5.1 innings where he was responsible with giving up all three runs, which scored in the top of the sixth frame. Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) was able to cease all late game momentum as he came in relief and the Phoenix were unable to get anything going in the final inning.
- Fisher and Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) each went 3-for-4 at the plate with the freshman first baseman also recording a game-high 3 RBIs. The Nittany Lions managed 13 hits as a team in the 7-3 win.
Wilson College 5, Penn State Mont Alto 1
- Mont Alto once again took an early lead with this one occurring in the bottom of the third. Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Newville) laced a double that scored Leggett and put the Lions up 1-0. PSUMA nursed its one-run advantage until the top of the seventh when the action picked up. They recorded the first out of the inning against the Phoenix, but three consecutive Wilson batters reached base and with only one out in the inning the bases were jammed.
- Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) had a huge two-out strike out, but the next batter walked and then Hunter Cheek drove in two teammates with a double to give the Phoenix a 3-1 lead. After another pitching change, Wilson scored two more runs and recorded a spotless bottom of the frame to hold on for the 5-1 split.
- Jacoby took the hard-knock loss on the bump as he was responsible for giving up three earned runs in relief.
The Nittany Lions will remain home for their next contest on Friday, March 22 as they will host PSU Beaver for the first conference matchup of the season. Game time for the nine-inning affair is slated for 2 p.m.