DuBois, Pa. – Opposing pitcher Derrick Sylve from Selma University was nearly lights out racking up a USCAA Small College World Series record 17 strikeouts leading his team to the 4-0 win in the opening game of the national tournament on Monday.
Inside the Box Score
- Sylve broke the strikeout record that was previously held by Nicholas Burch from College of St. Joseph who managed 13 during the World Series in 2017.
- The Bulldogs collected 11 hits while scoring four runs.
- Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Spring) reached base two times, working a pair of walks.
How it Happened
- Selma University opened the scoring in the top of the first when Jamez McGhee singled home Ricky Butts who led the game off with a double.
- The Bulldogs went up 2-0 in the fifth inning when Tregrah Williams grounded into a fielder's choice. Selma added a pair of insurance runs in the following inning forcing starting pitcher Jeremiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) from the game. Younker recorded six strikeouts in the loss.
- The closest PSUMA came to plating a run was in the bottom of the seventh inning when Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) rocketed a double off of the center field fence with one out. He was left stranded with the final out of the game recorded via a punch out by Derrick Sylve.
Mont Alto (25-19) will play in an elimination game at 11 a.m. on Tuesday against the loser of the No. 4 seed Wright State Lake Campus and the No. 5 seed Mississippi University of the Women.